Friday, July 23, 2010

Wear It Twice: Turquoise Queen

And Now I Want It - White Shirt and Jeans Picks

When you’re an artist, it’s sometimes difficult to get good feedback. You ask your friends and relatives what they think of your latest creation, and they undoubtedly say “It’s great!” or “It’s amazing!”. And while this isn’t necessarily untrue, it’s not quite as detailed a critique as you were hoping for.

The same goes for blogs. If you ask someone you know to check out your blog, chances are they’ll ask you “What’s a blog?”. And even if you can get them there, they’ll most likely say what friends always do. “I like it.” That’s it. So when you get a thumbs up from a place you’d never expect, it’s an exciting thing.

This week I was thrilled to be featured as one of the Style Blogs of the Week on the Be In Style blog at Pocketchange.Become.com. The entire website is an encyclopedia of trends, and features great posts on everything from fashion and beauty to babies and green-living. There’s plenty of information and eye-candy, and they welcome content from guests writers who know their stuff.

Inspirational Beading was featured with some really fun fashion blogs, including a new favorite of mine, And Now I Want It. When I was browsing through posts, I was totally charmed by the author’s use of Polyvore fashion collages. I remember using the tool ages ago and having lots of fun with it. So I immediately logged in and started playing with cut-outs. Polyvore is like a combination of paper dolls and scrap booking, but without the mess.

As I was playing, I thought of a fun new blogging idea: Take a fabulous necklace, then add basics and accessories in a simple color palette to create two very different outfits. It’s like those fashion mag articles that show you how to make 20 outfits from six pieces of clothing. Only way more fun!

The first ever Wear It Twice collage began with a really pretty multi-strand turquoise necklace. Whenever I see turquoise all alone, I think of Ancient Egypt, so I used kohl black, carnelian red and gold as the remainder of my palette.




For the outfit on the left, I started with a fashion essential - the LBD. The black bandage dress that I found was totally irresistible, and would present a fun dress-up challenge. The retro bubble skirt, paired with the strands of beads, creates a sort of circa 1984 Madonna look. So I finished it with a pair of embellished black ankle boots and golden bobby pins to match. The red clutch adds an extra splash of color and sass.

The second ensemble is much more casual. I started with a black tunic with cropped bell sleeves. This time, instead of gold, I went with cream and added stone-colored bootcut jeans, with a cream and black cloche hat to match. Cute red Oxford flats complete the look.

Both outfits make a great base for a beautiful, blue necklace. And the best part is, you can get these looks, or something like them, on Etsy!

Copyright 2010 Inspirational Beading and Polyvore.com


7 comments:

  1. Thanks to you, I just made my first visit to Polyvore! What fun :) Some of the fashions are a bit "young" for me but I enjoyed "shopping". I'm going to post my grouping on my blog - I hope you'll stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great new feature! And I know I'm going to be playing with Polyvore all evening now - how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post, Mortira! great idea too - loving polyvore, takes me back to cutting out those paper clothes... ☺

    fab outfits - my fave is the one with red flats ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just adore your blog and the latest post was awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this new feature! Can't wait till you post another!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thanks for the mention on your blog. I'm glad you're enjoying my blog and my use of polyvore! More of those posts will be coming soon :)
    I like your idea on how to use it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! It's such a fun tool, and a great way to explore fashion.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com